197 Manilla St, Manilla NSW 2346
(02) 6785 1207
The first Yarramanbully one teacher school was built before 1920. When children on farms too far away from the school in town, their parents asked the person in charge of schools to send them a teacher, to give lessons in their own community. The farmers then built a one room primary school for pupils from Year 1-6.
The second Yarramanbully school was built in 1935, when a new generation of children required that the school be re-opened. Children from around six families from the Yarramanbully community went to school here until Year 6. The families employed the builders Hunt and Lynch of Tamworth to construct the school, and it opened for classes on July 31, 1935. The school remained open until December 1953, by which point all of the pupils had moved on to other schools for their secondary education.
The Gallagher family donated the Yarramanbully School building to the Manilla Community for the town's centenary of Public Education in 1977. Manilla Historical Society volunteers restored the building, which was left intact with all its contents on the Gallagher property at the close of classes in 1953.